The Catholic Diocese of Sale is committed to providing a safe and supportive environment for people of all ages, with special concern for children, young people and vulnerable adults.
The Diocese commits to a policy of zero tolerance to all forms of abuse. This commitment is made in the spirit of Christ’s teachings and on behalf of the Bishop, clergy, staff and volunteers who serve in Parishes, schools, Catholic Care and other Catholic organisations in the Diocese.
The duties of a Parish Safeguarding Officer are as follows:
- Work collaboratively with the parish priest and the Diocese of Sale to develop and implement safeguarding practices in accordance with the National Catholic Safeguarding Standards and state and federal legislation.
- Promote the safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults in line with Catholic Diocese of Sale and its Parishes’ policies and procedures.
- Liaise with the Parish Priest and the Catholic Diocese of Sale in relation to any disclosures of breaches of the Parish’s Code of Conduct.
- Undertake training and supervision as required.
- Maintain records to demonstrate the Parish’s compliance with the National Catholic Safeguarding Standards.
- Provide advice to the Parish Priest on making the Parish a safer place for children and young people.
The Key Selection Criteria are as follows:
- Demonstrate a commitment to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults.
- Be reliable, a good communicator, trustworthy and discreet, and able to maintain confidentiality.
- Be a regular member of the Parish community.
- Possess good oral and written communication skills, including ability to communicate with children, parents and the Parish community
- Demonstrate a knowledge of Diocesan policies and codes of conduct relating to children, young people and vulnerable adults.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the National Catholic Safeguarding Standards
- Training will be provided in National Catholic Safeguarding Standards
- The appointee will require a current Working with Children Check and to undertake a National Police Check
- This is a voluntary appointment for a three year period and is supported by the Professional Standards Officer from the Diocese of Sale
- The person appointed to this role will not be required to undertake investigations.
For more information, please email our Professional Standards Office or phone (03) 5614 5140.